The Warlords have a summer break in the month of August which means no game this Monday just gone (and for the next 3 weeks probably – boo!). However, I have vowed to get some proper painting done in the break, and after the big game the other week I had decided that I will get cracking on with some Napoleonics. I have always been drawn to the troops of the Rheinbund since I got interested in Napoleonics (down to my Dad’s Funken book – in French as well!) and so it was a no brainer to start with the ‘dwarf states’ and work my way up from there.
The plan is to work through the Rheinbund Regiments first adding the small units of cavalry and artillery from these states too – I want the units to be used for 1813/4 as well as the early part of the wars which gives scope for some interesting volunteer forces to be added also.
As no one does the figures for these units in 15/18mm (Perry’s do some gorgeous ones in 28mm though and I might get a few one day..) you have to get the nearest thing and make some compromises and so for the Anhalters I’m using AB Orange-Nassau figures. This gives the single breasted jacket and shako cords but also a plume and no epaulettes so I’m compromising by having the centre companies using a full plume and the flank companies sans epaulettes. They also have a British style canteen which I really didn’t want to take off as it’d ruin the back of the jacket so have kept it on (sorry button counters!) – the Anhalters did fight with British troops when they were with Walmoden’s Corp though so maybe they picked them up from them?!
After a bit of a false start last week, I wasn’t feeling great and got distracted with a bit of Europa Universalis 3, I have been slowly plugging away and have just about finished off the first 3 companies – they have just been given their wash and I’ll do some spot fixing if needed and the base them up once dried off tomorrow. I received the figures for the second part of the Battalion yesterday and they were primed straight away so I will get cracking on those now. So I thought I’d take a couple of snaps to share, I’m quietly pleased with how these have turned out. I’m in no way a Paul Alba or Gunner Dunbar but the difference between these and the Frankfurt Battalion I painted last year has shown me how much I’ve improved which is quite pleasing. In fact I wish I had tarted the Frankfurter’s up now before rebasing them but they might be good to keep as a yardstick from where I started….
And the first two companies are based, will be adding flock etc when they are joined by the rest of the Battalion, which should be later in the week as work on them is well under way.