I’m sure I’m not the only one who does this but you know when you see something and think – ‘Ooh, I could use that to make…….’.
Well it happened to me about a year ago after bunging a pizza in the oven. I was about to chuck the packaging into the recycling bag when I thought, hello that polywhatsit disc thing the pizza comes on could be useful, I might be able to make hills out of that. So I started to collect a few of them – actually got quite a few and didn’t do a thing with them. Until today!
I’ve been a bit disappointed with the scale of the hills at the club for use in our 6mm games as they are all quite large and have that ‘every hill in the world has to have a rocky bit showing’ vibe – which I can’t stand – or we have to use odd bits of carpet (see Battle of Klinkerhoff posts – looks awful!) so I thought I’d finally have a go at knocking something up. I’d also bought some felt squares from Aldi a while back with the intention of using them for terrain pieces somehow and I suddenly had a lightbulb moment.
I’m quietly pleased with the results, a bit simple looking but as they will be for use down at the club and they’ll go well with the felt mats we have down there, I reckon they’ll be fit for purpose – and anything is better than those bleeding carpet pieces! Oh, and they are an absolute piece of piss to make:
Take your pizza base thingy – make sure it is clean.
Glue it to another one.
Wait for it to dry and then cut into desired shape (making sure felt piece can cover it sufficiently)
Chamfer the edges to give a slope – I make some bits steeper than others for a bit of variety.
Glue top of the hill and stick it down onto the felt
Glue the sides of the hill, do a bit at a time, and fold felt onto it and stick.
Trim felt around the base of the hill – I have left this bit long so there is a bit of a skirt (I might trim this up closer to the edge of the hill, haven’t made my mind up yet which is best)
I have noticed that some slight white marks appeared as the glue dried on my first attempts due to me not spreading the glue out sufficiently, these do brush off easily enough though and I could always add a bit of clump foliage on the worst bits to cover them up!
Sorry if this was a wee bit like teaching yer Nan to suck eggs but as it was so easy I thought I’d share it!